Jazz Nights at Park Güell
The concerts and various cultural activities have been organised in partnership with MUHBA
Park Güell is the venue for a series of four concerts, organised jointly with the Barcelona City History Museum (MUHBA), paying homage to the rich and diverse relationship between Barcelona and jazz music. The concert series takes you on a journey from the arrival of jazz – a new genre that was so alive, uninhibited and liberating – in the 1920s, up to the present day.
The series continues on Friday 6 July, with a "Homage to Jamboree and the Dragon’s Cave", performed by Josep M. Farràs, Toni Solà and the Ignasi Terraza Trio; and on 13 July there’ll be a concert honouring one of the leading figures in jazz and his relationship with the city, "Louis Armstrong and Barcelona", performed by the Jazz Care All Stars.
Free cultural activities
There are several free cultural activities associated with the concert series, in order to bring the Park closer to the public:
- “Park Güell and Barcelona”: a visit to the Casa del Guarda (Caretaker’s House) at Park Güell and a route tracing the process of building and formally designing the park and its relationship with the city of Barcelona. 5 August and 2 September (from 9.00 to 11.00 am)
- “Gràcia 1900. The bourgeois showcase of a working-class neighbourhood": a walk through the streets of the old town of Gràcia, where we can still admire the great houses of the turn of the 20th century, and where we find traces of the conflicts and contradictions that are typical of the modern metropolis. 16 September (from 10.30 am to 1.30 pm)
- “Güell, Gaudí and Barcelona. The expression of an urban ideal”: a guided visit to the exhibition at the Casa del Guarda (Caretaker’s House) at Park Güell, one of the few examples of modest houses built by Antoni Gaudí. 11, 18 and 25 July (from 9.30 to 10.30 pm)
- "The conquest of the hills": a walk from the viewpoint at MUHBA Turó de la Rovira to Park Güell describing the growth of the city. 18 July (from 7.00 to 9.30 pm)
- "Barcelona 1902: urbanise the barren mountain": a walk through Park Güell explaining the process of building and formally designing the park. The route goes around the edge of Park Güell's monumental core but does not enter it. 11 and 25 July (from 7.00 to 9.00 pm) and 9 September (from 10.30 am to 1.30 pm)